Easy french toast is a great way to start your day. So much goodness in one single slice. It is funny how we think that we need to do all this fancy stuff when it comes to cooking. However the other day my daughter was quizzing me about my easy french toast recipe and so I thought that it was time to get this recipe on here! I like to add just a little pancake batter as it thickens up the egg mixture. And I find it very interesting how each of my kids like to put something different on top of this. One likes syrup and another likes to have peanut butter and yet another likes syrup and peanut butter. But no matter what you like, you can’t go wrong. One other thing; make sure that you use canned milk not sweetened milk. We use canned milk as it is just a little thicker than your regular milk. But if you like, you could use regular milk. The batter for your french toast just won’t be as thick.
This is a great recipe for someone that is just newly married, or it is amazing for your college students that are just starting out on their own. We also have a syrup made from scratch that is so easy a six year old can make it. I will have to get that recipe on the blog as well. Just remember to have fun and keep it simple.
And so it has been a few months since we have been able to have our fourth Sunday dinner with my kids and sister. Yesterday we finally got together and it was a lot of fun. It was fun to have everyone home. We don’t see our son that moved to Idaho as often as we used to. It was a little easier when he was five minutes away. I guess that is why you have to appreciate that its not farther than it is right now. Anyway, we played a game and it was a hoot. Telestrations is what it is called. My son-in -aw got a phone call and so my sister that doesn’t care to draw took his place. Her word was plumbers crack. How in the world do you draw that. Needless to say that she did a very good job other than she forgot to put a wrench on the picture or a sink or toilet! Ha ha so the word ended up being something way different! Killer bee ended up being spelling bee and it was fun.There were also some other really funny things that came out of our drawings and some that went the whole round and ended up being right! I would recommend this game for anyone. It is great for all ages. If you need a good laugh, you can find the game almost anywhere. And another thing, Christmas is coming soon. Now back to breakfast, go fix yourself some easy french toast. And you may want to use our buttermilk syrup recipe for some delicious syrup. It is really good.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of canned milk (5 or 6 ounces) evaporated
- 2 heaping Tbsps pancake or baking mix
- 6 -10 slices of bread of your choice (French or thick Texas bread are some of our favorite)
- Preheat a griddle to 275 degrees or use the stove top and cook over medium heat.
- In a pie pan, or wider dish, combine the eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk. Mix with a fork very well.
- Add the pancake mix and stir very well. It doesn’t matter if there are a few lumps.
- Dip each piece of bread into the batter and then turn it over and dip the other side.
- Place on a griddle that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray or butter.
- Let it cook until golden brown; about 2 minutes and then flip and cook the other side.
- Remove and place in another pie plate and set in an oven that is warmed to 200 degrees to keep the french toast warm while cooking the others.
- Top with syrup, butter, jam, fresh fruit, whip cream, or peanut butter.