Acini De Pepe Salad aka frog eye salad. I think that the reason my daughter won’t eat this acini de pepe salad aka frog eye salad is because she doesn’t care for frog eyes. HA ha. It is loaded with fruit and mixed with pasta. This Acini De Pepe Salad aka frog eye salad is one of our favorite salads for a family reunion. It reminds me of the get togethers we use to have when my sweet mother-in-law use to bring such amazing food. She loved to cook and we loved to eat, so we got along very well. We had a fun family reunion with my family this weekend. So I knew that we would need a lot of food. So I picked this salad because it does feed a lot of people. And it tastes really nice and sweet. I do love mandarin orange and pineapple.
We had a great time this weekend. We had a family reunion at my brother’s home in Idaho (the home where I grew up). We rode motorcycles and side-by-sides. There are really some beautiful mountains up in that area. After, lunch, some of them went and caught some fish. My grand daughter caught one bigger than her brother and that didn’t make him very happy. They caught trout. I must take them to their house today, because we brought them home and every time I open the fridge, I feel bad because they are looking me in the face and I guess I am feeling kinda bad for them. I know that they are fish and we eat fish, I just don’t like when they still have the head and eyes on looking at me!
After fishing, we went to the small town where I attended middle school and high school (12 miles from my childhood home) where they were having the county fair. First we went to the parade. That was fun because my brother was in the parade for his 40th class reunion. I sure don’t know how that happened. How do we get this age so fast? I still think in my head that I am the same age that I was in high school. It is fun to go back home and see friends. However, it is sometimes a little sad because things change. I know that they never stay the same, I guess when you had a great childhood, you just hope that all things are the same. However, I know that that cannot happen. People pass on and new people with new ideas come. And so I guess that is why it is good that I will have this blog for kids and grand kids to visit. We are blessed to have such a great place to live in and we are so blessed to have so much. And one of the best things that we enjoy at the fair, is a hamburger. That is one thing that never changes; a great hamburger off the grill at the fair. Just different people cooking it. Yum. Do you like to eat burgers at the fair? One other thing that is the same is the animals out in the barns. I know that they are different animals, but they are still there. Thank heavens; it is always fun to go see the animals. I hope that you all get a chance to go and visit a fair this year. We did forget to get scones, So I guess that I will have to make some and have a few friends over. There is no way that I can eat too many of them. But we do usually get one at the fair, with honey butter. My family did enjoy the Acini De Pepe Salad AKA Frog Eye Salad. I hope that you all have an amazing day.
- 1 (16 ounce) package Acini De Pepe macaroni
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks of tidbits, drained (reserve juice)
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 12 ounces cool whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsps flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups pineapple juice, from reserve
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- Drain fruit juices, reserving pineapple juice.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, and salt.
- Beat egg yolks and add reserved pineapple juice to them. Add this mixture to the other ingredients in the sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat and stir until thick.
- Cook Acini De Pepe according to package directions. (Boil water with a tsp salt, it takes 8-10 minutes, but do not overcook). Drain, rinse and cool.
- In a very large bowl, add macaroni to egg mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- This allows the sauce to flavor the noodles.
- The next day, or at least 2 hours later, add fruits (that are very well drained), marshmallows and Whipped topping.
- Keep refrigerated.
- This keeps for about 5 or 6 days.