Broccoli Salad. Yesterday, I was driving with my adorable granddaughter. I asked her if she liked the pink trees? (They are beautiful this time of year). She told me “yes grandma, pink is my favorite color”. Then I asked her if she liked the trees that look like popcorn. She said “not popcorn grandma”; and I said okay and kept driving. Pretty soon I heard her say as we here driving by more beautiful white trees “popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, popcorn, broccoli.” Right in the middle was a green tree. I laughed; oh how these little ones make our days. I also saw that some of the trees were full of blossoms and just beautiful. Then there were other trees that didn’t have as many blossoms and these trees were not as beautiful. Those trees were the ones that were crowded by other trees. I thought to myself, these trees are just like people; if you are always telling your kids or others how to do things and don’t give them a chance to do things on their own and make their own mistakes, how are they ever going to stand out and blossom? I was glad to learn this lesson. I guess I will stop nagging my teenager so much.
Also don’t forget to enjoy the beautiful spring colors, as they go so fast. And don’t forget to enjoy people as they grow so fast and change too.
- 2 large bunches of broccoli (about 1 pound) cut into small flowerets
- 1 pound of bacon, cooked until crisp and then crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds (I like honey roasted)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 small purple onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried onion
- In a medium size bowl, place broccoli that is chopped into small pieces.
- Add bacon that you have cooked and crumbled, (if in a hurry use bacon bits).
- Put sunflower seeds, cheese and onion in next.
- Keep this refrigerated.
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and onions together. Mix well!
- About 45 minutes to 1 hour ahead of time pour dressing onto the broccoli mixture.
- Stir gently and place back into the refrigerator until ready to serve.