Tamale Pie is is a great one dish meal. It is packed with so many delicious ingredients that combine to make a filling dish. You won’t need to add anything else to this meal.
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes (cut or chopped)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 15 ounce can corn
- 1 Tablespoon. chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon. garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon tsp. salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Bisquick
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- To prepare chili, brown the meat in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender. Drain off the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Put the chili in a 9" X 13" pan or a 12" Dutch oven.
- To prepare the cornbread, mix in a separate bowl all of the dry ingredients.
- Make a dip in the center and add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Place the cornbread on top of the chili.
- Cover and bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until the cornbread tests done.
- I like to take the lid or cover off for the last 10 minutes to brown up the cornbread.